We all feel overwhelmed and unorganized from time to time, but for sufferers with Adult ADD, the disorder can make it difficult to cope with everyday work and life management tasks. It is likely that if you are diagnosed with Adult ADD, you also suffered from the symptoms as a child as these signs of inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity typically follow through to adulthood. More information on the signs of Adult ADD is as follows:
- Signs and Symptoms. Sufferers of Adult ADD have an extraordinarily difficult time with concentration and organization. This can make life very challenging for the loved ones of people with Adult ADD. The ADD sufferer might lose things often, leave tasks incomplete and have trouble with procrastination. Their work and home spaces will likely be unusually cluttered and messy. Their health may be compromised by compulsive eating, alcohol or drug abuse or forgotten medication.
- If you have a pattern of making decisions hastily or consistently zone out when people are talking, these also might be symptoms of Adult ADD. The most common signs of Adult ADD are inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity.
- Treatment. There are medication options and you might discuss with your doctor the side effects and what is the best course of treatment for your condition. Keep in mind that people react differently to medication, what might work for one person might not for another. Generally, the medications can relieve the symptoms of disorganization, distractibility and social awkwardness. The medication will not cure Adult ADD. If the medication is stopped, the symptoms will return.
- If medication is not an option, there are other treatments available. You should consider multiple simultaneous strategies, including education about ADD, behavioral intervention strategies, social skills training and vocational counseling.
- Support. If ADD is affecting your relationships, consider talk therapy, marriage and family therapy and/or cognitive-behavioral therapy. Each of these therapies for adults can be helpful for the emotional and practical challenges that ADD brings.
While Adult ADD has its challenges it also comes with positive attributes. It comes with unlimited stores of energy and may manifest itself with creativity and flexibility, allowing these adults to tackle a multitude of ideas simultaneously.
If you or a loved one suffers from ADD, it is vital to seek treatment and support. Individuals with ADD are more likely to cause physical and verbal abuse to their family members and more likely to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol.
Spending so much time at work may be good for your bank account, but bad for your stress and irritation level. Fortunately, ...
With so many controversies about problematic drugs full of harmful side effects, many people are turning to treating ...
Most people do not know that the stress experienced post trauma is actually a disorder. Watching for the symptoms can help ...